top of page

For Students

Financial Aid

Financial Aid for Hispanic Students– College can be expensive for any student, and Hispanic students are no exception. With 49% of Hispanic high school graduates now attending college, the need for specific financial aid resources has also grown. The Financial Aid for Hispanic Students Guide




Go to the College Foundation of North Carolina for answers to:

  • What is student financial aid?

  • What is student financial aid based on?

  • What are college costs?

  • Who pays for college costs?

  • What about need-based grants, loans, and employment?

  • How do I apply for student financial aid?

  • Are there some tips for applying for student financial aid?

  • How is eligibility for need-based aid determined?

  • What are major sources of financial aid?

  • What is a “financial aid package?”

  • What if I have special circumstances or want more aid?

  • How do I compare financial aid packages from different colleges?

where Can I Go to Learn More?

Student Debt Relief


Filling out a FAFSA is the first step in getting financial aid for college. In longhand, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid is the official document used to determine your eligibility for a host of grants and loans. The FAFSA Guide answers many questions people have regarding the FAFSA and offers resources to guide and students and their families gain as much financial aid as possible. Please visit here for more information.


FAFSA Day is a free service offered each February to help North Carolina students and families complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form.  The FAFSA form is required to determine your eligibility for federal and state grants and other college funding opportunities.

FAFSA Day sites and assistance are made possible in all 100 North Carolina counties by the collaborative efforts of College Foundation of North Carolina (CFNC), the NC Association of Financial Aid Administrators (NCASFAA) and State Employees Credit Union (SECU).


With numerous host sites located across the state, students and their families can get free, professional assistance completing the FAFSA at a convenient location.

You can click here to find a location near you and register for FAFSA Day.  After that date, you also will find more event information at, including a list of items to bring with you on FAFSA Day.

For more information available at no cost to help you plan, apply and pay for college, visit or call 866-866-CFNC FREE (2362).

Advice on how to apply

  • Start early.

  • As soon as possible after January 1st.

  • Complete the FAFSA in English.

  • Keep track of application deadlines. Most applications are due between March and April of each year.

  • Contact your school’s financial aid office for school-specific aid

  • Apply directly to foundations and professional societies

    • If you are working and going to school, check to see if your employer has a tuition assistance program

What do financial aid administrators do?
Every school that has a financial aid program employs a financial aid administrator (FAA) to watch over and be responsible for the entire aid process at that school. The FAA is a professional, available to help you and your family complete financial aid forms, answer questions, calculate your COA, and determine your financial need. To do this, he or she may ask for documents describing your family’s financial status, such as U.S. income tax returns. If you can show that you have the need, your financial aid administrator will try to award you enough aid to meet that need. The financial aid administrator is your best source of information about financial aid programs and application procedures. Don’t hesitate to call with your questions. The FAA is there to help you and your family and their help is always free.

What if I’m not a U.S. citizen, can I still get financial assistance?
Yes. Most aid federal financial aid programs are limited to U.S. citizens or permanent residents. If you are not a U.S. citizen, there are fewer sources of financial aid available. But aid is still available. Most organizations will indicate whether citizenship is required to apply for a scholarship. If you are unsure, you should call the organization directly.

What if my parents are not U.S. citizens, can I still apply for financial assistance?
Yes. You will need to complete the FAFSA and report your parents’ income. If they do not have a U.S. tax return or Social Security number, you should complete the FAFSA but do not attach a tax return. Use your social security number for the application and your parents’ Tax-id number if they have one.

Do I need good grades to get a scholarship?
Good grades help. A GPA of 3.0 or better is required for many scholarships based on academic standing. Other scholarships and loan programs focus mostly on financial need. As long as you meet the general requirements for the scholarship, you should apply.

Do I need to be admitted to a university before I apply for a scholarship?
No. The time required to process a financial aid application is lengthy. Experts recommend that students apply for financial aid at the college or university of their choice even before they actually know whether or not they have received acceptance at that school.

Do I need to be a full-time student to receive financial aid?
No. Most financial aid is available to students who are at least half time.

bottom of page